Founded in 2009 and headquartered in Downers Grove, IL we are a world-class contract manufacturer producing wholesome baked goods, snacks and packaged foods for many of the world’s leading food companies. As one of the largest and fastest growing food co-manufacturing companies in the US, we are the proud owner and operator of over 35 facilities globally. Our nearly 10,000 employee-strong organization is leading the way and setting new standards for quality, safety, flexibility and efficiency while feeding families around the globe.
Hearthside’s exceptional growth stems from its ability to address real-world problems for customers of all shapes and sizes, and by our resolute commitment to our belief that there are no great companies without great culture. Our culture of personal empowerment enables growth, learning, and continuous improvement every day!
We are steadfast in our ambition to be the indispensable and most trusted partner to our customers and need your help to do it! Join Hearthside and enjoy a competitive package, outstanding benefits and a diverse work environment.
The Sanitation Manager will be working at one of our larger bakeries in the bakeries platform located in North Sioux City, SD. The plant is 350k sq. ft. and operates 8 highly automated production lines. At this plant, we produce cookies for multiple customers; including the Girl Scouts, Kroger, Walmart and many others. This facility has two unions, the BCTGM and Teamsters. Nestled between the curves of the Missouri River and the banks of McCook Lake, North Sioux City is at the intersection of commerce, recreation, and small town living with big city attractions.
The Sanitation Manager is responsible for providing the overall people leadership for teams that range in size of up to 25 hourly sanitation employees and 1 salaried Supervisor. This strategic leader develops and executes the sanitation program by providing technical support and overseeing the cleaning and sanitization of equipment, surfaces and plant environment. The Sanitation Manager encompasses a ‘continuous improvement mind-set’ by analyzing sanitation performance metrics, determining root causes and implementing effective corrective actions to meet food safety and product quality standards in addition to optimizing operational efficiency. The role leads and engages their team towards compliance with GMPs, Safety, WHMIS, HACCP and corporate standards associated with the sanitation process.
• With a ‘Continuous improvement mind-set’, elevates the bakery sanitation program to ensure a gold standard of cleanliness is achieved across the facility which exceeds industry standards
• Oversee the development and execution of the Master Sanitation Schedule (MSS) through the scheduling of labor to clean and sanitize equipment, surfaces and plant environment to accomplish sanitation practices according to Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures (SSOP’s).
• Ensure the proper chemical utilization and handling to optimize the cleaning chemistry, application methods and safe practices. Ensure the chemical dispensing systems function within specification. Solicit technical support from the supplier for concerns or deviations.
• Participate in capital projects planning, new equipment installations and new product lines by providing sanitation recommendations and expertise.
• Audit sanitation related activities, report non-compliances and take corrective actions to assure compliance to all quality assurance food safety requirements. Update sanitation program documents to reflect improved processes or procedures, train and verify compliance by front line employees.
• Measure and analyze sanitation performance metrics and participate in weekly meetings (as required) to review findings and assign investigation and corrective action responsibilities to drive continuous improvement.
• Lead (or Partner with QA) on a Pest control program for the identification and elimination of pests.
• Promote the company’s health and safety program, maintain a safe working environment and ensure continued compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and JHSC recommendations.
• Ensure compliance with Environmental and waste water standards.
• Responsible for team member adherence to lock-out/tag-out of equipment prior to and during the cleaning process.
• Establish a strong culture of Food Safety with all team members and ensuring all are educated on compliance, legal requirements and food safety standards, policies and protocols.
• Ensure product quality by mitigating visual, microbiological and chemical contamination through equipment and facility sanitation.
• Own budgeting and deliver annual cost targets through careful tracking of labor resourcing, chemical and supply usage, driving issue resolution / continuous improvement efforts and effective project management.
• Optimize supply of chemical and material spend in alignment with corporate preferred supplier programs.
• Cross-reference vendor invoices with inventory to ensure billing accuracy.
• Track cleaning window efficiency in order to attain and exceed budgeted targets.
• Cost effectively schedules weekly manpower requirements based on projected volumes and historical records.
• Monitor planned volume to actual and adjusts labor needs to support volume.
• As a strong people leader, role is to be aware of own and team members’ competencies to unleash their potential and development.
• Inspires, coaches, develops and engages the team to work collaboratively; to create and drive a culture that motivates them to collectively achieve the business goals.
• Enables the team to reach out to you for clarity of their role/goals, issue resolution and decisions.
• Establishes self as a trustworthy and approachable partner who listens and builds confidence in the team and has an open minded approach to feedback to identify improved ways of working together.
• Maintain strong cross functional relationships with the bakery leadership team, corporate sanitation and food safety teams.
• Play an active role in internal, customer and annual BRC audits.
• Support swabbing & QA activities as directed by the QA Lead.
Competencies & Requirements:
• 3 or more years of sanitation hourly and salary leadership experience in a food manufacturing environment.
• Experience with budget management needed.
• 5 or more years of wet and dry sanitation experience.
• Knowledge or experience of the sanitation process, cleaning chemistry, chemical storage, handling and dispensing systems and sanitary design principles.
• Continuous improvement mind-set and passionate about sanitation and understands its importance to safety and quality of manufactured food products.
• Knowledge of HACCP/FSMA, food industry GMP’s, BRC or SQF standards, WHMIS, First Aid, Food Safety, Basic Food Microbiology, Lock Out and Tag Out, and local Occupational Health & Safety regulations.
• Knowledge and experience with lean manufacturing and continuous improvement programs.
• Proven leadership skills with the ability to coach people and develop a high performing team with the ability to drive performance and hold people accountable.
• Strong communication skills (read, speak and write) in English.
• Ability to create a team environment by sharing knowledge, involving employees in developing solutions, and providing guidance, direction, feedback and recognition to the team.
• Courage to challenge the status quo, lead & embrace changes and decisions that drive progress.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
• Excellent analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills.
• Proficient in computer skills (Excel, Word, Outlook), previous experience with SAP and Ceridian Dayforce an asset.
• Post-secondary education, College or University degree in Science preferred and high school diploma or GED required.
• Able to work in cold, hot, humid or wet manufacturing environment conditions, work with chemicals and stand/walk regularly.
Hearthside is an Equal Opportunity Employer.